Friday, November 11, 2011

Sideswiping the Crave

Given that one major side effect of PCOS is insulin resistance (which I definitely have), my body constantly craves sugar, even though my blood is jam-packed with it.  To stifle the crave, and to help keep up metabolism, it's important to eat small meals/snacks throughout the day.  In one book I read, they suggested 3 small meals and 3 snacks a day.  I like eating, so I have no problem doing it often.  However, it usually takes some premeditation to prepare snacks and meals.  When I haven't taken time to prepare, I usually head to the cupboard and grab some cereal (which of course is a bad decision because cereal is loaded with sugar - and carbs, obviously).  So, here are some handy snacks to have around that I've found helpful:


Carrots - I love to crunch on crispy carrots, and their natural sweetness helps to satisfy part of the crave for sugar.  Another great "sweet" veggie are sugar snap peas.

Cottage Cheese - Ryan thinks I'm weird because I use cottage cheese like salt or pepper, but I love it.  I buy fat free, but if you want a little more flavor, there's nothing wrong with 1% or 2%.  I'm happy just eating it plain, but often put it on a green salad or eat it with my carrots or peas.  If I want something 'sweet', I put a little cinnamon and maybe some blueberries or a few almonds in it.  Protein is always helpful to combine in a snack.  Julia's a huge fan of greek yogurt, which another good option (as long as it's low fat and nearly sugarless) if you're not big on cottage cheese. 

Speaking of protein - meat, nuts and beans are always a great go-to for a snack if you're insulin resistant.  If you're having a hard time doing no sugar cold turkey, try coming your sugar-loaded snack with some protein.  Kristina said she would keep beef jerky as a snack for that very reason.  I'm a big fan of nuts, which are more fatty so you can't go crazy with them, but I find them convenient and tasty to snack on.

Apples and Bananas - I'm a huge fan of apples, and try my best to keep the dentist away by eating them as often as possible.  However, a better substitute for me is a banana, because of the potassium.  Paired with some natural peanut butter, I find it becomes pretty filling.


One of the most helpful things I learned was to incorporate more fiber into my diet, and drink lots of water with all my snacks.  Fiber lowers the need for insulin and releases energy into the body slowly.  If I had a "miracle" food, it would be beans.  They have wicked amounts of fiber and of course protein.  It's been fun for me to incorporate more beans into my meals and snacks.  Occasionally I'll make a hefty pot of taco soup to have as a sort of snack to alternative to something sweet.  I like to blend up garbanzo beans and make hummus, too, and eat it with some whole wheat crackers or veggies.


Truth be told, I'm anxious for more ideas on good snacks to keep around and more ideas for healthful, sugarless foods.  Please share!!!

1 comment:

  1. I found that following the glycemic index was the most helpful tool toward weight loss and curbing sugar cravings. So continue with small frequent meals but be conscience of their glycemic index. Like fruit and veggies- some are high on the index and will cause an insulin spike. Good examples are - berries, apples, oranges, broccoli, peppers, squash, asparagus. Bad examples- bananas, pineapple, tomatoes, carrots. By choosing a low glycemic produce with a lean protein (turkey, fish, cottage cheese, yogurt, chicken, beans) your insulin won't spike and it keeps your metabolism burning higher and more efficiently. Examples of quick meals - apple with string cheese, celery with peanut butter, almonds with berries, cottage cheese with bell peppers, low cal granola bar with yogurt, black beans and eggs. Just watch your portions and calories. I have had my most successful weight loss by following the glycemic index with moderate exercise. I lost over 60 pounds down to a 18% body fat. I had never been that lean in my life. It was very hard to maintain though, I know how to do it, just keeping myself motivated to keep doing it was my downfall. It required constant determination.

    ReplyDelete