Saturday, November 5, 2011

Together

So, Julia and I have known about PCOS since high school.  But, for me, it only gave an explanation for why my periods were irregular.  In the past few years, however, I started noticing less hair on my scalp, more hair on my face, stronger and incessant cravings for sugar, and difficulty losing weight.  I was perusing the library one day and noticed this book: "A Patient's Guide to PCOS: Understanding--and Reversing--Polycystic Ovary Syndrome"  I found it incredibly helpful and hopeful.  I started focusing on substituting protein and vegetables when I normally would've craved enriched carbs (bread, rice, pasta), and started birth control to regulate my hormones.  I've always loved to be active, but it gave me extra motivation to exercise regularly.  The kicker, though, is sugar.  The biggest "ah ha!" moment for me was realizing that I crave sugar.  I've never been a big fan of candy, but I've always, always loved bread.  One chapter from the book mentions dieting 'smart'.  Some foods may be perfectly tolerable for one woman with PCOS and a sure-fail for another.  The example was this: One woman with PCOS may be able to take a bite out of a dinner roll and be satisfied, while another woman takes a bite out of the dinner roll and cannot satiate her craving until the whole bread basket is empty.   The latter is definitely me.  While that's an extreme example, it's true that I crave breads.  If I could, I would live off of carbs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  But the truth is, I can't.  Carbs are my sugar.  They're just a food I need to avoid.

So, I think it's true that we all now have the knowledge we need to combat PCOS.  But, the follow-through and motivation to keep doing the things we need to (exercise, keep a focused diet, drink lots of water), and avoid the things we need to avoid (sugar!) is the struggle.  Thus, the purpose of this blog.  I've briefly shared my story and my major weakness.  Please share yours, the things you've found helpful, the things you definitely have not found helpful, and how to live your life sugar-less.  That, for Julia and I, is the goal.

I'm so grateful to have others who know what I'm going through.  It's hard to feel in control of your womanhood with PCOS, but I do know it's possible.  As in all trials in life, it's truly impossible for us to overcome alone.  That's why we wanted to start this blog.  But I also know that if we truly want to succeed overcoming our mortal weaknesses, we must involve the Lord.  It's easy for me to think that my weaknesses are "mine".  Or in other words, that the embarassment I feel about my body is my own fault, and that I need to own up to the consequences.  But then I realize that we're all given weaknesses, and that I didn't bring this upon myself:


I truly believe that PCOS is another way for me to come closer to my Father in Heaven, to humble myself and remember that I need Him and the Atonement of His Son, Jesus Christ:


I'm praying for myself and each of you to ask for help in making our health a priority - it's a lot more work than most people have to do, I'd wager.

Let's be in this together!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, neat blog! One of my best friends struggles with PCOS, I'll send her over this way and see what she thinks. Do you still do your personal blog, too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ames! It's rather neglected, although my personal blog isn't much better. Here's the link:
      thechriswells.blogspot.com

      Delete